Monday 2 November 2015

autumn vibes

As the leaves begin to tumble from the trees in earnest and frost begins to spread a glittering carpet over the pavement, I too fall back into autumn traditions which are far less noble and generally consist of getting overly excited about wearing orange and feeling the urge to consume copious amounts of red wine. 

All black is also a very viable option, and amber (or amber-ish) jewellery is perfect. I don't recommend taking up smoking for autumn in order to look mysterious; swinging around a carpet bag, wearing lots of eyeliner and listening to The National should suffice.  

muliebrity


These King Kennedy carpet bags are probably the epitome of rich autumnal luxe. And these descriptions of outrageous dinner parties of the 1800s are sort of second-hand satisfying the wine-drinking impulse. See: a pie, which when cut into, reveals a whole dish of jewels, iridescent fountains and 2000 'arrangements' of fish. 

The description of the diamond miners does, however, serve as a slightly sobering reminder of how somebody had to dig up all of those beautiful jewels. I'd be quite happy, instead, to settle for a slightly more innocuous inside autumnal meal like this indoors picnic via Polkadots and Vodka Shots (the former blog of Maja Hattvang). 

When I was about 14, I had the pink-wine-and-pavlova-on-shiny-blanket image saved in a folder of pictures that summed up a life I wanted to live when cool and grown-up. Now grown-up, albeit extremely uncool, I think I could just about manage an impromptu cake and wine picnic. Donning as black turtleneck, of course, and some amber jewellery. In an ideal world, it would take place on a beautiful Turkish carpet, but I'll have to make do with my rather less lavish Ikea version - I'm no Victorian billionaire, after all. And perhaps later, post-copious amounts of red wine, we'll go for a night-time walk through swirling leaves and mist and a delicate coating of sparkling, diamond-like frost...


No comments:

Post a Comment